A history of research

An initial excavation was undertaken in 1915 by the Greek archaeologist J. Hatzidakis, who identified in the ruins a Minoan palace similar to the one at Knossos.

He invited the French School at Athens to carry on the research, which was done from 1922 onwards, under the direction of J. Charbonneaux and then F. Chapouthier, who completed the uncovering of the building in 1930. Investigations and additional surveys were carried out there until 1992.

From 1930 the necropolises and the town’s residential areas (designated by letters of the Greek alphabet) were explored by the FSA’s French and foreign members.

A systematic survey of the plain around the town was carried out in 1989.
 

Read online

The library

Newsletter

Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

22 Dimitrakaki Street (property of “K. Kalogeri A.E.”), Chania
22 Dimitrakaki Street (property of “K. Kalogeri A.E.”), Chania. Sofia Preve (ΚΕ’ ΕΠΚΑ) reports that the salvage excavation on this plot took place between 2007 and 2008, for the construction of a four-storey building with a basement. The plot is located at the N borders of the LM IIIA/B necropolis, and contains four LMIIIA and B graves, the dromos of a chamber tomb, a quadrilateral opening, a burial in a shaft grave,...
....
A collaborative project with the BSA.

Databases