Chronology
  • The School
  • Research
  • Academic events
  • Training
  • Documentary resources
  • Publications
  • Members
  • Internal affairs

    1847

    Arrival in Athens of the first year-group of seven members, nicknamed the 'Argonauts'.

    1850

    Staffing decree that sets out the academic character of the FSA; it is placed under the scholarly supervision of the Academy of Inscriptions and Belles-Lettres.

    1859

    Decree creating three sections: Literature, Sciences, and Arts. The Arts section hosts the resident members from the Villa Medici. Members are required to spend three months in Italy.

    Academic activities

    1852-1853

    The FSA's first excavations: E. Beulé unearths the Byzantine entrance of the Athenian Acropolis.

    1860-1862

    First preliminary surveys at Delphi: clearing of a part of the polygonal wall.

    1861

    Exploration of Macedonia, Thrace, Thessaly, and Epirus, by L. Heuzey and H. Daumet. This expedition was financed by Napoléon III, who was interested in Caesar's battles in the east.

    ARCHIMAGE : The latest pictures

    Archimage is intended to gradually put online the graphic and photographic documents, kept in the Archives service of FSA.

    Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

    ALKMANOS STREET (O.T. 128, property of Mpimpa-Spyridakou)-6207
    Sparta, ALKMANOS STREET (O.T. 128, property of Mpimpa-Spyridakou). Aggeliki Mexia (5th ???) reports on the discovery of an apse in a SE orientation which belonged to a building which was internally decorated with a floor mosaic (Fig. 1). The apse was three-sided externally and semi-circular within. Although solid it was not carefully made, built with rubble, fragments of bricks and abundant mortar. Based on the higher level of the mosaic floor, the excavator believes that the apse was part of the foundation of the building. On the southern side of the apse was a wall (?? 2) with a SE-NW orientation and of a similar construction. Other excavated walls were older than the apse. In the eastern part of the excavated area were 15 graves, all aligned on a NW-SE axis. Most were cist graves of re
    ....
    A collaborative project with the BSA.