1890 - 1903 / Directorship of T. HOMOLLE
  • The School
  • Research
  • Academic events
  • Training
  • Documentary resources
  • Publications
  • Members
  • Internal affairs



    1898 (April)

    Celebration of the School's fiftieth anniversary, after a delay caused by the Greco-Turkish War.

    1899

    Decree altering the admissions procedure for the FSA's members: establishment of a year of specialised studies, to prepare the members for their future work (this course replaces the written examinations).

    1900

    Decree creating the foreign section, which hosts resident members from friendly nations that do not maintain archaeological missions in Greece. This section is lodged in the 'Annexe', built in 1902-1903.
     

    Academic activities

     

    1892-1903

    'Major excavation' at Delphi: uncovering of the hieron of Apollo. In 1903 the Delphi museum is opened.


    1899-1900

    Excavation of Lato in Crete.
     

    1902-1913

    Beginning of excavations at Argos by C.W. Vollgraff, the first Dutch member.


    1902-1909

     Excavation of the sanctuary of Poseidon and Amphitrite at Tenos by H. Demoulin and P. Graindor, Belgian members.

    ARCHIMAGE : The latest pictures

    IMAGE
    Thasos - Acropole ; Athénaion (sanctuaire d'Athéna), GTh 65 - R1765-012

    Sujet : vase Matériau : argile Technique : tourné, Categorie : figure noire, Fragment : panse, Origine : Attique,
    Archimage is intended to gradually put online the graphic and photographic documents, kept in the Archives service of FSA.

    Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

    LAVREOTIKI, Melissia Iatrou-6095
    Lavreotiki, Melissia Iatrou, Kokkori-Demou plot. Manolis Psarros (B' ????) reports on the discovery of two 4th c. B.C. building complexes and a road to their north (Figs. 1, 2, 3). The east building is gamma-shaped and consists of 5 rooms and a courtyard. Only two rooms of the western building were excavated. One of them contained the stone base of a wooden column, which supported the roof (Fig. 4). The eastern building had grey floors of beaten earth and a subfloor of white/off-white beaten earth of unknown geological composition (Fig. 5). The same sub-floor was also found in the western building. Finds from the buildings include lamps (Fig. 6), drinking vessels, sherds from beehives (Fig. 7) and lekanes, some of which had been repaired with lead clamps (Fig. 8). D. Parra, A. Kapetaniou
    ....
    A collaborative project with the BSA.