1903 - 1912 / Directorship of M. HOLLEAUX
  • The School
  • Research
  • Academic events
  • Training
  • Documentary resources
  • Publications
  • Members
  • Internal affairs

    1904-1907

    Organisation of a School for the teaching of French known as the 'École Giffard', after the man who created a foundation for the development of French culture. Until 1945, the teaching of French in Greece was under the control of the FSA, which was also a centre for examinations.

    1910

    Alteration of the FSA's admissions procedure: the competition is opened to those who have passed the agrégation and successfully submitted a thesis (for the Diplôme d'études supérieures) on a topic in Greek archaeology or epigraphy (it replaces the year-long course).

    Academic activities

    1903-1906

    Reconstruction of the Treasury of the Athenians at Delphi.

    1904-1914

    Archaeological exploration of Delos, thanks to financial support provided by the Duke of Loubat. In particular, discovery of the Hellenistic town.

    1911

    Beginning of the excavation of Thasos.

    ARCHIMAGE : The latest pictures

    Archimage is intended to gradually put online the graphic and photographic documents, kept in the Archives service of FSA.

    Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

    GRAMMATIKO, Mavro Vouno-6092
    Grammatiko, Mavro Vouno, Drainage works. E. Mpanou (B' ????) reports on the discovery of finds dating from the Final Neolithic to the Early Byzantine period. The area of the drainage works consists of two hills and a valley between them (Fig. 1). Antiquities were located on the hills only. North hill: an extensive circular structure was revealed (Figs. 2, 3), which served as a retaining wall. The structure enclosed a deposit containing pottery (Fig. 4), and numerous burnt bones, and obsidian and flint tools (Fig. 5) were founds within its limits. The pottery from the deposit and the surrounding area date the structure to the Final Neolithic to the Early Bronze Age. In addition, 6 rock-cut graves were excavated on the east side of the structure. The graves had been covered with schist plaq
    ....
    A collaborative project with the BSA.