1867 - 1875 / Directorship of É. BURNOUF
  • The School
  • Research
  • Academic events
  • Training
  • Documentary resources
  • Publications
  • Members
  • Internal affairs

    1869

    Inauguration of the Sciences section, which had admitted no one since its creation in 1859, and which disappeared in 1874. Its sole member is a physicist, H. Gorceix.

    1872-1874

    Construction, on the Lycabettus Hill, of the FSA's buildings; the first stone is laid by J. Ferry.

    1873

    Creation of a branch of the FSA in Rome, with A. Dumont as director. The Athenian members spend a year there and follow a training course in archaeology. The branch becomes autonomous in 1875, as the Archaeological School at Rome.

    1874

    Formal regulation of the FSA's entry competition, which includes written and oral examinations, including an examination in modern Greek.

    Academic activities

    1869-1871

    Excavation seasons at Santorini by H. Gorceix and H. Mamet, who uncover part of a prehistoric establishment at Akrotiri where, a century later, Greek excavators will discover a Minoan 'Pompeii'.

    1873

    Beginning of excavations on Delos.

    ARCHIMAGE : The latest pictures

    Archimage is intended to gradually put online the graphic and photographic documents, kept in the Archives service of FSA.

    Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

    GRAMMATIKO, Mavro Vouno-6092
    Grammatiko, Mavro Vouno, Drainage works. E. Mpanou (B' ????) reports on the discovery of finds dating from the Final Neolithic to the Early Byzantine period. The area of the drainage works consists of two hills and a valley between them (Fig. 1). Antiquities were located on the hills only. North hill: an extensive circular structure was revealed (Figs. 2, 3), which served as a retaining wall. The structure enclosed a deposit containing pottery (Fig. 4), and numerous burnt bones, and obsidian and flint tools (Fig. 5) were founds within its limits. The pottery from the deposit and the surrounding area date the structure to the Final Neolithic to the Early Bronze Age. In addition, 6 rock-cut graves were excavated on the east side of the structure. The graves had been covered with schist plaq
    ....
    A collaborative project with the BSA.