1950 - 1969 / Directorship of G. DAUX
  • The School
  • Research
  • Academic events
  • Training
  • Documentary resources
  • Publications
  • Members
  • Internal affairs

    1962

    Creation of a post of Official Librarian, and, in 1966, of a post of sub-librarian.

    1962-1964

    Construction of a new building, home to the technical services that are beginning to expand with staff recruited locally (e.g. the photograph library, library of plans, and drawing office).

    Academic activities

    A certain number of new initiatives are launched at the traditional sites (Delos, Malia and Thasos), and the School begins new work at sites where it had previously excavated, such as Argos, Dikili Tash and Lato.

    1952

    Resumption of excavations on the agora at Argos.

    1961

    Franco-Greek excavations of the Neolithic tell of Dikili Tash. Excavations of the northern residential areas at Delos.

    1962

    Emergency excavations at Medeon in Phocis, on the site of the future aluminium factory of Pechiney Aluminium in Greece.

    1966

    Beginning of excavations of the Protopalatial district in Malia ('Mu Quarter').

    1967

    Work is resumed on the historical site of Lato (Crete).

    1968

    The FSA offers assistance to the exploratory excavation of the Neolithic cave at Kitsos (Laurion).

    ARCHIMAGE : The latest pictures

    IMAGE
    Thasos - Acropole ; Athénaion (sanctuaire d'Athéna), GTh 65 - L10034-018

    rempart sanctuaire, mur, trace, rocher, parement interne Matériau : marbre,
    Archimage is intended to gradually put online the graphic and photographic documents, kept in the Archives service of FSA.

    Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

    KIFISSIA, Koukounarias and S. Kontou -6057
    Kifissia, Koukounarias and S. Kontou (O.T. G927, property of P. Oikonomou, I. Vassarioti). Maria Stefanopoulou (B' ????) and Dimitrios Palaiologos (B' ????) report on the discovery of a Neolithic settlement (Fig. 1). An elongated ditch containing thirteen smaller ditches attest to the first phase of use of the area. At a later date, a hut was placed within the ditch. The hut preserves a stone floor and one posthole. At an even later date the hut acquired a circular shape and was reduced to occupying only the centre of the aforementioned ditch. Seven postholes contemporary to this construction phase were found. A second hut was constructed east of this one. This later hut is also circular in shape, had a stone floor and preserves two postholes. Two stone axes and two flint blades were found
    ....
    A collaborative project with the BSA.