1846 - 1867 / Directorship of A. DAVELUY
  • The School
  • Research
  • Academic events
  • Training
  • Documentary resources
  • Publications
  • Members
  • Internal affairs

    1847

    Arrival in Athens of the first year-group of seven members, nicknamed the 'Argonauts'.

    1850

    Staffing decree that sets out the academic character of the FSA; it is placed under the scholarly supervision of the Academy of Inscriptions and Belles-Lettres.

    1859

    Decree creating three sections: Literature, Sciences, and Arts. The Arts section hosts the resident members from the Villa Medici. Members are required to spend three months in Italy.

    Academic activities

    1852-1853

    The FSA's first excavations: E. Beulé unearths the Byzantine entrance of the Athenian Acropolis.

    1860-1862

    First preliminary surveys at Delphi: clearing of a part of the polygonal wall.

    1861

    Exploration of Macedonia, Thrace, Thessaly, and Epirus, by L. Heuzey and H. Daumet. This expedition was financed by Napoléon III, who was interested in Caesar's battles in the east.

    ARCHIMAGE : The latest pictures

    IMAGE
    Thasos - Acropole ; Athénaion (sanctuaire d'Athéna), GTh 65 - R1765-004

    Sujet : vase Matériau : argile Technique : tourné, Catégorie : figure noire, Fragment : panse, Origine : Attique,
    Archimage is intended to gradually put online the graphic and photographic documents, kept in the Archives service of FSA.

    Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

    KIFISSIA, Kifissias Avenue-6058
    Kifissia, Kifissias Avenue 313 (O.T. 167, Sector III, property of P. Chalari). Maria Stefanopoulou (B' ????) reports on the discovery of a Hellenistic and Roman house, and a Byzantine workshop (Fig. 1). Part of a building consisting of rubble walls and a courtyard was excavated and dated in the Late Hellenistic period. Contemporary to the building is a rock-cut drain. In Roman times, the building was extended, since more walls were constructed. These are rubble walls with tiles. Contemporary to this phase is a cairn found east of the building and a pi-shaped drain. In the Late Byzantine period the building appears to have been converted into a workshop, since two kilns were excavated - one inside the building (Fig. 2) and the second outside. The kilns contained Late Byzantine pottery sherd
    ....
    A collaborative project with the BSA.