1875 - 1878 / Directorship of A. DUMONT
  • The School
  • Research
  • Academic events
  • Training
  • Documentary resources
  • Publications
  • Members
  • Internal affairs

    1876

    Foundation of the Institut de Correspondance hellénique, which brings together Greek and French scholars to exchange academic information about the ancient and modern Greek worlds.

    Academic Activities

    1875-1878

    Dumont's 'triennium' takes on a particular importance in the School's history, with a clearly defined academic policy, the creation of tools for circulating knowledge, and an openness towards all aspects of the ancient and modern Greek worlds (including prehistory, the Byzantine era, and neo-Hellenic languages).

    1876

    Creation, in collaboration with the School at Rome, of the Library of the French Schools at Athens and Rome, of which the purpose is to publish the work of the two Schools' members.

    1877

    Publication of the first volume of the Bulletin de Correspondance hellénique, the FSA's annual journal. Beginning of the exploration of the sanctuary at Delos: this first phase ends in 1894.

    ARCHIMAGE : The latest pictures

    IMAGE
    Thasos - Acropole ; Athénaion (sanctuaire d'Athéna), GTh 65 - L10036-016A

    Sujet : rempart, temple, mur, soutenement, parement externe, angle sud-est trace rocher Matériau : marbre,
    Archimage is intended to gradually put online the graphic and photographic documents, kept in the Archives service of FSA.

    Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

    KIFISSIA, Kifissias Avenue-6058
    Kifissia, Kifissias Avenue 313 (O.T. 167, Sector III, property of P. Chalari). Maria Stefanopoulou (B' ????) reports on the discovery of a Hellenistic and Roman house, and a Byzantine workshop (Fig. 1). Part of a building consisting of rubble walls and a courtyard was excavated and dated in the Late Hellenistic period. Contemporary to the building is a rock-cut drain. In Roman times, the building was extended, since more walls were constructed. These are rubble walls with tiles. Contemporary to this phase is a cairn found east of the building and a pi-shaped drain. In the Late Byzantine period the building appears to have been converted into a workshop, since two kilns were excavated - one inside the building (Fig. 2) and the second outside. The kilns contained Late Byzantine pottery sherd
    ....
    A collaborative project with the BSA.