1913 - 1919 / Directorship of G. FOUGÈRES
  • The School
  • Research
  • Academic events
  • Training
  • Documentary resources
  • Publications
  • Members
  • Internal affairs

    1913

    Creation of the post of Secretary General, a former member of the FSA, of which the first holder is C. Picard.

    1914-1918

    The 'Athenians' are called to action on the eastern front, as either combatants or interpreters. The School is home to the offices of the Ambassador's military attachés and the School's director plays an important role in the French propaganda in Greece aimed at preparing for Greece's entry into the conflict alongside the Entente Powers. G. Fougères is president of the Franco-Hellenic League, which has 4000 members in 1918, and maintains a close relationship with E. Venizelos.

    December 1916 - June 1918

    Following a clash in Athens between French troops and royalist troops, the FSA closes its doors; the buildings are placed under the supervision of the director of the American school.

    Academic activities

    1914

    Opening of the excavation site at the Roman colony of Philippi (the FSA's main Roman and Byzantine excavation in northern Greece) just before the war.

    1915-1916

    During entrenchment work at the Dardanelles, the necropolis of Elaeus (Thrace) is discovered.

    1916

    Organisation of a unit of the Oriental Army that included the former 'Athenians'. Excavations of prehistoric establishments in Macedonia, and the collection of Byzantine documents.

    ARCHIMAGE : The latest pictures

    IMAGE
    Malia - QUARTIER MU - 43324

    SUJET : TASSE EN RELIEF MATERIAU : ARGILE DECOR : MOTIF VEGETAL MOTIF ANIMALIER TECHNIQUE : RELIEF
    Archimage is intended to gradually put online the graphic and photographic documents, kept in the Archives service of FSA.

    Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

    ATHENS - Monastiriou-6115
    Athens, Monastiriou 6-8 (property of Manasaki). Konstantina Lymperopoulou (?' ????) reports on the discovery of a stretch of the ancient road leading from the asty to the Academy of Plato and 7 burials (Fig. 1). The road had two 5th-century B.C. phases (one prior to the middle of the century and one after), and appears to have remained in use until the 2nd c. B.C. A drain runs parallel to the road. The latter was damaged by a modern well. Finally 1 inurned cremation, 4 tile graves and 2 cist graves were found. Apart from one burial, dated to the 1st c. A.D., all others contained no burial offerings and cannot be dated.
    ....
    A collaborative project with the BSA.