Historical discussion and history of research
  • The School
  • Research
  • Academic events
  • Training
  • Documentary resources
  • Publications
  • Members
  •  

    Chronological points of reference:

     
    Periods
    Absolute dating (BC)
     
    LATE BRONZE AGE
    Late Minoan IIIA
    Late Minoan IIIB
    Late Minoan IIIC
    Subminoan
    1390-1330
    1330-1200
    1200-1100
    1100-970
     
    EARLY IRON AGE
    Protogeometric
    Early Geometric
    Middle Geometric
    Late Geometric
    Proto-archaic
    970-810
    810-790
    790-745
    745-700
    700-630
    IRON AGE Archaic
    Classical
    630-480
    480-323



    The place was the subject of the attention of Crete's first explorers from the end of the nineteenth century onwards. During his visit, L. Mariani noted the Cyclopean character of the walls of the terraces that cover, in a circular arc oriented northeast, the slopes of the central valley. There he identified the remains of a 'pre-Hellenic city' comparable to those at Lato. The excavations undertaken by P. Demargne on 19-23 August 1929 disproved this initial impression; in addition to a deposit of votive objects from the Geometric to Classical eras found on the northern side of the west peak ('Kako Plai') and tombs dated to between Late Minoan IIIC and the Geometric era situated below (at 'Lami'), his report of 1931 mentions six ancient terraces, from which surveys yielded shards that were 'clearly Geometric'. For Demargne, however, in the inhabited sector the results were disappointing; no whole vases were discovered, and 'the almost complete lack of earth' considerably limited the possibilities for excavation. With the exception of a partition wall on one of the terraces, the internal architecture appeared not to have been preserved. In 1990, A. Farnoux and J. Driessen undertook an exploration of the range's top layer and noticed the presence of Late Minoan IIIC material in the area of the houses. Moreover, 300m further west they found a thick north-south wall that appeared to demarcate the edge of the occupied area. In 2006, rescue excavations were carried out by the Greek archaeological service (director: V. Zographaki) in the inhabited area and the sector with the tombs. In parallel to this, the study of the material from the old excavations was resumed by M. Pomadère, O. Pilz and M. Krumme. In 2012 and then 2014, new rescue excavations were conducted by the Greek archaeological service. As a result two dwelling houses were uncovered in 2012 and the construction of the massive terrace walls that divide up the slopes of the central valley was dated to the Late Geometric era. The excavations also suggested that that inhabited area was progressively abandoned at the beginning of the seventh century. Traces of a Middle Minoan II (1800-1650 BC) sanctuary and a Late Minoan IIIC building were also discovered in 2014 on the eastern part of the range, respectively on the peak of Vigla and below it.
     


     
    Topographical plan of Anavlochos from 1931 (after Demargne 1931: 369 fig. 4)
     


    © EfA / F. Gaignerot-Driessen

     

     

    ARCHIMAGE : The latest pictures

    IMAGE
    Thasos - Acropole ; Athénaion (sanctuaire d'Athéna), GTh 65 - R1454-002

    Sujet : vase attique Matériau : argile Technique : tourné Cat.style : figure noir état de conservation : fragment
    Archimage is intended to gradually put online the graphic and photographic documents, kept in the Archives service of FSA.

    Archaeology in Greece ONLINE

    Messene-6122
    Messene. P. Themelis (ASA) reports on continuing excavations and restoration at the site. In the area of the north stoa (Fig. 1), which is 196 m. long, a column of one of the Corinthian inner colonnades was restored to a height of 5 m and a large gamma-shaped platform with a long stone bench in front of its east side restored (Fig. 2). The later baths (balaneion) (5th to 7th c. AD), built almost in the middle of the stoa were almost completely uncovered and their rooms distinguished clearly. Another structure uncovered in the Agora is the dining hall (deipnisterion), where worshippers of Messana, queen of the land of Messene, who had been deified, dined (Fig. 3). The goddess' temple lies close to the building, to the east. The dining hall was constructed in the Hellenistic period a
    ....
    A collaborative project with the BSA.